V-47 LE Tube Microphone Kit
The V-47 LE is a tube microphone kit based on the 6072 vaccuum tube and our famous RK-47 capsule.
The circuit is a single-triode design, using a selected low-noise, low-microphonics 6072 tube. The critical input and output coupling capacitors are film and foil parts from Reliable, made in the US. The transformer is a custom wound T/14 style, also made in the US.
The V-47 LE includes two switches on the mic, for pad and high-pass filter, plus a 9-way polar pattern control on the power supply.
The V-47 LE uses a satin black painted brass mic body with engraved MicParts logo and switch markings.
We have a limited number of a new "Stealth" option. These mic bodies have been powdercoated in a low-sheen textured black finish. The engraved logo and switch markings do not have a paint fill. We bundle this option with our C12 style grille for a unique and very classy look.
What's in the kit?
We provide everything you'll need to build a a complete V-47 tube microphone:
- Complete metalwork. We provide the mic body, chassis, and grille. The brass body has a satin black finish. Switch markings are engraved for durability. The engraved logo and switch legend have infill white paint on the black mic body.
- Custom circuit boards. We designed these in-house and manufacture them in the US with DIY in mind. We use high quality two-layer boards with clear silkscreen markings and reasonably sized solder pads.
- Fantastic components. The kit includes 100% of components needed to build the mic circuit. All these parts are selected from among the best available, including low-noise Dale metal film resistors, a polystyrene input cap from Reliable, a polypropylene film and foil output cap from Reliable, high-grade electrolytics from Panasonic and Elna, a NOS styrene tone capacitor, Wima film capacitors, and a US-made T/14 output transformer.
- Low-noise tube. The tube is a 6072a type, tested and selected in the US to conform to our specifications for noise and microphonics. We picked this 6072 over many other types because it has better distortion characteristics.
- Internal wiring. We've sourced pre-cut and tinned, color-coded, multistrand silver-plated OFC with Teflon insulation, made in the US specifically for this kit.
- Two HPF choices. We include two different capacitor values for the high-pass filter, so that you can choose at build time whether to build a "rumble" filter or a more traditional high-pass.
- Socketed HF EQ. Set the circuit's high-frequency rolloff via a socketed capacitor -- no soldering required for final tuning!
- Complete PSU with voltage mod parts. The V-47 LE kit includes a finished and tested power supply, plus a pair of diodes to be installed by the customer to adjust the supply's output voltage. (Alternatively, upgrade to our custom VPS1 PSU circuit.) We include an IEC power cord for US wall outlets.
- Unparalleled documentation. Each kit comes with a full color, step-by-step instruction manual. Our installation guides are known throughout the DIY audio community, and have been widely praised as the best available.
- Accessories. The V-47 LE kit includes an elastic shockmount (with spare elastics) and an aluminum flight case.
The kit does not include a soldering iron or other necessary tools; see our DIY audio tools listing for specific recommendations.
No premium-grade tube mic should be stuck using a cheap XLR cable -- which can cause up to a half-volt in loss to the critical tube heater supply. Upgrade to our Gotham GAC-7, custom terminated in the USA with authentic Gotham connectors.
The Chinese-made PSU that accompanies most inexpensive tube microphones works relatively well, although its output voltage can drift, leading to subtle changes in the harmonic structure of the sound. To get the most out of the V-47 LE, we recommend upgrading to our VPS1 supply, which provides tightly regulated voltage, superior filtering, and slow ramp-up power to extend the life of the tube. It allows B+ and heater voltages to be set independently via internal trimpots. The VPS is available as a fully built, tested, and warrantied unit, and as a circuit kit to upgrade an existing compatible power supply.
International power cords
This kit includes an IEC power cord for US wall outlets. We can ship this kit anywhere in the world; the PSU (both models) has a 115V/230V switch. Non-US customers will have to source their own IEC power cord.