VPS1 - Premium Tube Mic Power Supply
The "VPS1" is our custom, premium tube mic power supply, designed and built in the US.
Rather than the Zener-regulated design found in most Chinese-made power supplies, we use a MOSFET-regulated design with significantly improved filtering.
Features & Benefits
- Low drop-out regulator ensures voltage regulation despite temperature and AC line variations
- Adjustable B+ voltage (via internal trimpot)
- Adjustable heater voltage (via internal trimpot) allows compensation for voltage drop in long or sub-par XLR7 cables
- Multi-stage noise filtering
- Large heatsinks ensure lower operating temperature and long-term reliability
- Soft-start heater voltage (4 second ramp) eliminates power-on current surge, to extend tube life
- Voltage filtering in pattern selection circuit to eliminate "pops" when changing patterns
- Neutrik XLR3 and XLR7 connectors
- US milspec silver/Teflon wiring
- Durable, powder-coated vintage silver metalflake finish
- AudioQuest NRG-Y3 IEC power cord ($129 value) with long-grain copper, silver plated shield drains, and semi-solid concentric conductor packing to reduce RF noise and strand-interaction distortion
The VPS1 is compatible with the following tube microphones:
- Alctron T11-A (stock, or modified with our Fox 460 kit)
- Apex 460 (stock, or modified with our Fox 460 kit)
- Carvin CTM-100 (stock, or modified with our Fox 460 kit)
- Avantone CV-12
- the 12-251 microphone kit
- the V-47 microphone kit
- Pin 1: plate voltage, 120VDC (adjustable via trimmer)
- Pin 2: heater voltage, 6.1VDC (adjustable via trimmer)
- Pin 3: rear diaphragm voltage (0VDC for Omni, 60VDC for Cardioid, 120VDC for Fig8)
- Pin 4: ground
- Pin 5: audio out from microphone
- Pin 6: audio out from microphone
- Pin 7: ground
- Shield: ground
The VPS1 is known to not be compatible with Rode tube microphones. Use of the VPS1 with any microphone not listed above is at the buyer's risk. We strongly recommend you verify pin-for-pin compatibility and voltage requirements before purchase.
The VPS1 power supply has a 1-year warranty. If it fails, we'll repair or replace it.
You'll want an appropriate cable
We strongly recommend pairing this power supply with our Gotham GAC-7 tube microphone cable. We think this is the finest tube mic cable in the world.
*Upgrade Bundle Pricing
The "upgrade bundle" pricing option offered above is valid only if you are buying our 12-251 kit, V-47 kit, V-47 microphone, or V-12 microphone in the same shopping cart. The discounted price reflects the swap from the standard power supply (which would have been included with those products) to this premium US-made power supply.
We do not currently stock the NRG-X3 cord for non-US outlets; if your order is shipped outside the US, we will remove the NRG-X3 cord from your order and rebate the purchase by USD $50.