V-251 Tube Mic Platinum Edition
The Platinum edition V-251 microphone and power supply will become available in January, 2021.
The V-251 Microphone is a recreation of one of the most famous tube microphones in history, the Telefunken ElaM 251.
We have implemented it with the best parts on the market: US-made, film-and-foil input and output capacitors, a selected low-noise 6072 tube from Russia, and a custom T/14 transformer. The result is a stunning single-triode tube mic that rivals the performance of multi-thousand dollar commercial microphones.
Improvements to Vintage
Our V-251 improves on the original design in the following ways:
- We use higher-value, audiophile-grade resistors to reduce the noise floor as compared to vintage European models -- without losing any tone or character.
- We include a pad switch on the mic, to enable recording higher-SPL sources.
- We include a high-pass filter switch on the mic, to enable control over proximity effect.
- We provide nine polar patterns (the original mic had three). The pattern control is on the power supply.
Improvements to DIY
The Platinum Edition mics include rare/vintage/NOS component upgrades that are not available in the DIY kits. We upgrade the most critical components: tube, input capacitor, tube cathode capacitor and resistor, PSU filter capacitors, diodes, and resistors.
We have also upgraded the mic's grille to our chrome C12 style, and bundled the GAC7 XLR cable.
Audio output wires within the PSU are upgraded to solid-core, high purity copper.
- One hand-built-in-California boutique tube microphone, using our proprietary upgrades to the vintage ElaM 251 circuit, acclaimed RK-12 edge-terminated capsule, and T/14 output transformer.
- Spider-style elastic shockmount. This attaches to the mic with two thumbscrews to tighten felt-lined metal bands around the mic body.
- Hand-built, Platinum edition VPS1 power supply with vented, silver powdercoated housing. The VPS1 is compatible with, and tested for either 115VAC and 230VAC mains power (depending on customer location). The Platinum Edition VPS includes upgrades to ~85% of the passive components on the board, and in fact requires a new PCB to accommodate them.
- Gotham GAC7 XLR cable.
- AudioQuest IEC power cord (compatible with US/Canadian outlets only; included for domestic US and Canadian orders only).
- Aluminum flightcase.
These microphones are built to order in our US headquarters. Allow 3-5 business days for assembly, testing, burn-in, and final QC. Click here for the latest news about custom mic ordering times.