MXL 3000 Circuit Upgrade Kit
We have developed a replacement circuit for the MXL 3000. The circuit topology is a single-stage JFET with output transformer. We have optimized this circuit to create even-order harmonics, which add richness, saturation, and texture to your tracks.
This product is identical to our best-selling T-84 circuit kit, adapted to fit the MXL 3000 chassis.
Features & Benefits
As compared to the stock circuit, the new one has:
- Higher output (~2.5dB)
- Lower noise
- Superior harmonic content
- Internal 10dB pad switch
- Internal Cardioid/Omni pattern switch (requires multipattern capsule)
If you also install the RK-12 capsule, which we highly recommend, the finished microphone will have:
- Still higher output (~5dB higher than stock)
- Smoother mid- and high-frequency response
- Fuller bass response
The RK-47 capsule also works nicely with this circuit (and is easier to install).
In The Box
You'll receive our T-84 circuit parts (including transformer) and instructions, with a PCB designed to fit the MXL 3000.
The MXL 3000 "donor mic" pictured on this page is not included with the kit. You must supply your own donor mic.
The installation process is slightly more challenging than some of our other kits, for these reasons:
- Installing the RK-12 capsule requires grinding out the neck of the headbasket, similar to what is documented on the GT-55 mods page.
- We do not provide step-by-step instructions for mounting the transformer. The transformer could be taped to the back of the PCB, or installed within the transformer can that houses the stock transformer.
- We do not provide step-by-step instructions for disassembly of the MXL 3000. (In a nutshell, you just need to remove the old PCB(s) and transformer, and preferably the capsule too. Then install the new parts.)
If this is your first DIY mic upgrade, we recommend starting with something simpler. Or, see below.
Mod Service Option
We can upgrade your MXL 3000 for you; contact us for details.