VPS1 - Premium Tube Mic Power Supply
The "VPS1" is our custom, premium tube mic power supply, designed and built in the US.
Rather than the Zener-regulated design found in most Chinese-made power supplies, we use a MOSFET-regulated design with significantly improved filtering.
Features & Benefits
- Low drop-out regulator ensures voltage regulation despite temperature and AC line variations
- Adjustable B+ voltage (via internal trimpot)
- Adjustable heater voltage (via internal trimpot) allows compensation for voltage drop in long or sub-par XLR7 cables
- Multi-stage noise filtering
- Large heatsinks ensure lower operating temperature and long-term reliability
- Soft-start heater voltage (4 second ramp) eliminates power-on current surge, to extend tube life
- Voltage filtering in pattern selection circuit to eliminate "pops" when changing patterns
- Neutrik XLR3 and XLR7 connectors
- US milspec silver/Teflon wiring
- Durable, powder-coated vintage silver metalflake finish
- AudioQuest NRG-X3 IEC power cord with long-grain copper and helical array geometry reduces cable-induced distortion (MSRP $99)
The VPS1 is compatible with the following tube microphones:
- Alctron T11-A (stock, or modified with our Fox 460 kit)
- Apex 460 (stock, or modified with our Fox 460 kit)
- Carvin CTM-100 (stock, or modified with our Fox 460 kit)
- Avantone CV-12
- the 12-251 microphone kit
- the V-47 microphone kit
- Pin 1: plate voltage, 120VDC (adjustable via trimmer)
- Pin 2: heater voltage, 6.1VDC (adjustable via trimmer)
- Pin 3: rear diaphragm voltage (0VDC for Omni, 60VDC for Cardioid, 120VDC for Fig8)
- Pin 4: ground
- Pin 5: audio out from microphone
- Pin 6: audio out from microphone
- Pin 7: ground
- Shield: ground
You'll want an appropriate cable
We strongly recommend pairing this power supply with our Gotham GAC-7 tube microphone cable. We think this is the finest tube mic cable in the world.
*Upgrade Bundle Pricing
The "upgrade bundle" pricing option offered above is valid only if you are buying our 12-251 kit, V-47 kit, or V-12 microphone in the same shopping cart. The discounted price reflects the swap from the standard power supply (which would have been included with those products) to this premium US-made power supply.
We do not currently stock the NRG-X3 cord for non-US outlets; if your order is shipped outside the US, we will remove the NRG-X3 cord from your order and rebate the purchase by USD $50.