MXL 770 Headbasket Upgrade
We expect to have this product back in stock by December 8, 2016.
To stay informed of product availability as well as new product announcements and secret sales, subscribe to our mailing list.
- Installs in 5 minutes
- Doesn't resonate like many single-layer grilles
- Sounds more open than the stock 3-layer grille
- Gives your modded mic a beautiful, professional look
- Fits the MXL 990S, MXL 770, Monoprice 600800
- A small Cardioid logo marks the front side of the grille.
We referenced vintage microphone designs, such as the Neumann M49 and M50, as we worked through multiple iterations of 3D-printed prototypes. Ultimately, we departed from straight historical recreations to give our design a modern twist.
The grille material is made of 2 layers of metal mesh. We used two layers with significantly different gauges, as this helps reduce resonance (which is an issue we've seen with single-layer mesh grilles). The combination of two different meshes also strikes the best balance between plosive/EMI/RFI protection and acoustic transparency. Each headbasket is plated with a satin silver finish.
This headbasket will install easily onto the MXL 990 (and 770 and 990S); you'll need a small screwdriver and about 5 minutes' time.
- Unscrew the threaded black nut from the base of the microphone, if it is present.
- Unscrew the lower half of the mic body.
- Remove the three metric machine screws that attach the circuit board to the rest of the microphone. Carefully remove and set aside the plastic or metal standoffs sandwiched between the PCB and the metal plate above.
- Slide the mic chassis and capsule assembly out of the headbasket, taking care to not bang the capsule into anything.
- Insert the capsule and chassis into the new headbasket, aligning the front diaphragm of the mic with the Cardioid logo on the new headbasket.
- Replace the two machine screws and standoffs.
- Reverse the earlier steps to finish reassembly.
- Admire your microphone's classy new grille!