TL3 Circuit Kit
The TL3 is our next-generation implementation of the transformerless design pioneered by Schoeps. Once built, it will perform as well or better than most any microphone on the market under $1000.
We designed this circuit kit to fit two inexpensive "donor" microphones:
- MXL 770
- Monoprice 600800
The TL3 differs from our existing transformerless circuit kits in three significant ways:
- It has 3 polar patterns
- It has 2 external switches
- The high-frequency EQ can be easily adjusted without soldering
Features & Benefits
- High sensitivity, low noise, low distortion, ultra-pristine signal path
- Three-way pattern switch: Cardioid, Omni, Figure-8
- Switchable -10dB pad
- Includes pre-biased NOS JFET for maximum headroom
- User-adjustable high-frequency EQ allows easy voicing
- Long-life C&K switches
Choose Any Capsule
The circuit works beautifully with all of our large-diaphragm capsules. Because the in-circuit EQ is easily adjustable, you can fine-tune the mic's high-frequency response without soldering. Just swap one socketed component to change the circuit's frequency response.
Included with this Circuit kit
- Two-piece "TL3" PCB set, designed and manufactured in the US
- 100% of components needed to complete the circuit, including 1% tolerance, low-noise resistors, pre-biased NOS JFET, and polyproyplene signal capacitors
- Full-color, step-by-step installation guide (often described by customers as "the best DIY audio project manual on the market")
- Tech support via email
These circuit boards were designed to fit the MXL 770 and Monoprice 600800. They will not fit the MXL 990 or 990S or any other microphone.
Why did we choose the 770 and 600800 as the donor mics for this circuit kit? Because both models have two external switches. The original mic provides a pad and a high-pass filter. We retain the pad, but repurpose the HPF switch as a 3-way pattern switch (C/O/8).
If you have built one of our microphone kits before, you should have no problems with this one. If you have never built a microphone before, we recommend starting with something easier, such as a capsule upgrade, or the C1/C3 circuit mod kits.
If you have never soldered before, please do not purchase this kit. You must be able to reliably form sound solder joints, or you'll be wasting your time and money.